The railway station at La Croix Valmer


This small station, which dates back to 1890, is on the Train des Pignes line linking Saint-Raphaël to Hyères and Toulon. The single track railway was built and run by the Compagnie des Chemins de Fer du Sud de la France (the Railway Company of the South of France).The arrival of railways like this in the Côte des Maures (Coast of the Moors) region of the south coast led to an economic boom in the area. It also brought steam, and later diesel, engines up to a station at the famous Col de La Croix pass. The line was closed in 1948, because of the need for renovations following the Second World War, and the railway station became a bus station. It was recently renovated to provide space for the village library. The railway can still be enjoyed through beautiful hiking trails, and offers a wonderful view of the sea.